Jalapeno Cheese Grits
These creamy, cheesy grits have a little bit of bite to them. This versatile dish is good for breakfast or as a side for lunch or dinner.
About 35 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 3 jalapenos-fresh or pickled
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 T butter
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1/2 cup HOMESTEAD Grits
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Sauté jalapenos, chopped onion and garlic in oil in a medium-sized pot.
- Add liquids and salt and pepper.
- Heat until it is a low simmer and about to boil.
- Stir in grits and butter and simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes or until grits are soft and most of the liquids are absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in grated cheese.
Excellent as a side to barbecued chicken leg quarters.