Grits and Sausage Casserole
A hearty main dish made complete with a fresh, green salad.
About 1 hour and 15 minutes
Makes 8 servings
- 1 lb mild or hot Italian sausage
- 1 large onion
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 qt pureed tomatoes
- 8 cups cooked HOMESTEAD GRITS
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brown sausage in skillet, then add onion, celery and carrot.
- Add tomato puree and heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer 10 minutes longer.
- In separate bowl, mix together Parmesan cheese, grits and salt.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Spread half of the grit mixture in baking dish; top with half of the remaining grits and sauce.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Then sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake for another 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.