About 3 hours
Makes 1 loaf
- 1 pkg GLUTEN-FREE BREAD MIX (1 lb.)
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
For making the bread by hand without a machine:
- Combine the Gluten-Free Bread Flour and yeast in a large bowl whisking until well-combined.
- Warm the milk with the butter over low heat until the butter is melted. Remove from heat.
- Break the eggs into a medium-size bowl and add the milk mixture a little at a time, whisking as you go until thoroughly blended. Don’t add the milk too quickly or the eggs will begin to cook.
- Make a well in the flour and add the wet ingredients. Using a sturdy wooden spoon gather the flour into the wet ingredients and stir until well-mixed, then beat vigorously until a smooth, thick batter is formed. You may be tempted to add more flour but resist; gluten-free dough is much different than dough made with wheat. It will change texture as it rises.
- Cover the bowl and allow to rise in a warm place for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Grease an 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ bread pan and set aside.
- When dough has risen sufficiently, stir it down, gather it up and plop it into your prepared bread pan. Lightly cover with greased plastic wrap and set in a warm spot to rise for about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the oven and turn it out onto a rack to cool.
Option to make the dough in a stand mixture:
- Mix the dry ingredients as directed, but after warming the milk and melting the butter, put them and the eggs in the bowl of the mixer and mix well on medium-speed.
- Then add the dry ingredients one cup at a time and mix for one minute after each addition, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl; then once the flour has all been added, mix for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Follow the directions above for rising, shaping and baking.