Cheesy Breakfast Grits
This is a hearty, flavorful breakfast casserole.
About 35 minutes
Makes a 2-quart casserole
- 1/2 lbs. breakfast sausage
- 1 cup cooked HOMESTEAD GRITS
- 1 T butter
- 2 T Homestead Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 T black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 325º (F).
- Brown the sausage and set it aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan and stir in flour, pepper and milk. Cook on medium heat, stirring until thickened.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Add cooked sausage and half of the cheese sauce to the cooked grits.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish. Pour in the grits mixture. Make four indentations in the grits with the back of a large spoon. Break one egg into each indentation.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until eggs are cooked through.
Serve with the remaining heated cheese sauce.