Apple Cider Cake Doughnuts
These doughnuts are a hit at our annual Homestead Heritage Craft and Children’s Fair.
About 3 hours
Makes 15 doughnuts
- 3 eggs
- 5 T butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 pkg HOMESTEAD APPLE CIDER CAKE DOUGHNUT MIX
- 1 cup apple cider
- Boil apple cider in small saucepan until reduced to 1/4 cup; this will take about 8-10 minutes. Cool.
- Beat butter until creamy; slowly add reduced apple cider and beat until fluffy.
- Add 1 egg at a time; beat until smooth. Add vanilla; mix. Add dry doughnut mix and milk and mix well.
- Cover and let sit in refrigerator for 1-2 hours. (Dough will be very sticky.)
- Transfer dough to floured board and pat to 1/2-inch thickness, Cut with 2 1/2″ to 3″ doughnut cutter. Reserve doughnut holes. Reroll and cut scraps.
- Add enough oil to fill a deep pan 3″ deep. Heat oil to 375°. Fry several doughnuts at a time, turning once or twice until browned and cooked through. This takes 2-3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels.
Mix 1 cup fructose and 1 T cinnamon. Sprinkle over warm doughnuts.